Wednesday, May 16, 2012

What we've noticed and learned...

1. The owners of dogs do not clean up after their animals and my kids like to point out the "bombs" any time they see them.
 2. Bright colors do happen in France, but the majority of people wear subdued hues or neutral colors.
3. Lots of little girls are seen in pea coats or something of the like
4. You can never be completely certain of when shops or restaurants are open. They have kinda random hours. You'll find more things open in touristy spots, but I have yet to see an open for 24 hour place. I do not think they exist here.
5. Fast food does exist here, but I have not seen any drive thrus, and few restaurants offer takeout.
6. Bon-jour-nay can be used to say goodbye...I have heard it several times.
7. Either people think I am a native or they look at me and say, "ah, she's American," because several people have stopped me to ask for directions or for bus information in their broken French. X-scoozy m-wah... Or maybe I just look nice;either way I am not vey helpful, and I've gotten good at saying I am an American and sorry, I don't know.
8. The weather is very similar to western Washington. I almost feel like I haven't left home, but then it hits me when everybody around me is speaking gibberish, that I yet to make sense of.
9. Food is definitely an art here. I was hungry, and ordered a pretty expensive dish of prawn something...that was it, it was just pretty. The portion size was just a bit bigger than my fist, with three prawns laid out beautifully on top. Aesthetically pleasing, but not stomach pleasing. I guess that's why the French usually eat more than one course...I should have gotten an appetizer ( it probably would have been the size of half my fist, thus making a more filling meal).
10. They don't have indoor play places at the shopping malls.
11. I would say about 1/3 of the people in paris smoke.
12. Fashion wise, anything seems to work, as long as you wear it with confidence. They have these wedge sneakers that I have seen a lot of...don't really know what I think. wedge sneakers
13. I like these store. Promod  , NAF NAF, and du pareil au meme . And I am sure I will find more to share with you.
14. I do like going to the bakeries, and I am getting better at ordering...at least they understand.
15. Not all French children are well behaved. I have seen some rowdy ones, and some fights at the park.
16. Women in pencil skirts and high heels ride the same scooters as their children to and from work.
17. I see a lot of older women all dressed up in skirts riding their bicycles to the market.
18. Women of all ages and dress drive motorcycles or scooters. The ones that stick out the most to me are the older grandma types speeding around and the women in skirts, nylons, and high heels.
19. Parking censors are a must because of all the parallel parking that is required here. Daniel is a pro when it comes to parallel parking. Tight spaces do not deter him.
20. I love the window displays, but not the prices.

 We are still learning and discovering, so I know this list is not complete...

No comments:

Post a Comment